To remind drivers that seatbelts and car seats save lives, law enforcement agencies across the state are participating in the “Click it or Ticket” campaign that began Monday.

Mike Hanson joined the Office of Traffic Safety as director in November of 2017.

“One-third of fatal crashes still involve unrestrained occupants,” said State Traffic Safety Director Mike Hanson. He added that between 2013 and 2017 over 1,300 unbelted people were killed in motor vehicle crashes across the state.

Hansen explained that, “Over 300 agencies in the state of Minnesota will combine their resources and we will be out on the roads and aggressively enforcing the seatbelt and occupant restraint laws that are on the books).”

The good news is Hanson said 92-percent of front seat occupants are wearing their seatbelts.

Last year 73 unbelted drivers and passengers lost their lives on Minnesota roads.