As Minnesotans deal with colder-than-usual October temps this week, State Fire Marshal Jim Smith is urging caution with space heaters. He says you should never plug a space heater into an extension cord and he says when using a space heater…

“The unit itself can be very hot and if you have little kids, or you’re sleeping near one and a blanket or something combustible lands on top of it, it can start on fire as well.”

Smith says you should keep a space heater at least three feet away from anything flammable and you should always turn a space heater off when you leave the room or go to sleep.