A fire on Sunday night at Homestead Apartments caused significant damage and one person was taken to the hospital.

Mankato Department of Public Safety- Fire Commander Don Lehne says the incident was due to unattended cooking.

“Residents there were notified by the alarms going off in the building and the occupants of the apartment, they were asleep at the time, but the alarm woke them up. So, the occupant grabbed an extinguisher and knocked the fire down and then they got out and fire crews came in and finished putting things out and vented the structure.” 

The fire was reported around 10:38 p.m. and all five occupants of the apartment were safely evacuated. One person at the scene was transported to Mayo Clinic for smoke inhalation.

“There was a person that lived in a nearby building and that person stopped by to help out and went in and knocked on some doors to help evacuate people that need to get out. Then as the incident was wrapping up, then he was checked out as well.”

Damages to the apartment complex at 100 Homestead Road, Unit 1 are estimated at 18-thousand dollars.