Although Spring Clean-up has been postponed, Mankato residents have options to recycle or dispose of unwanted items.
Options currently available to residents:
- Appliance and electronic recycling–Bring up to five household appliances ($8 per appliance) and up to 350 pounds of household electronics (no cost) to Green Tech, 205 West Spring Street, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday; or schedule an appliance pick for $30 per appliance (plus $8 appliance cost) by calling 507-469-9095. This service is a value-added service to Mankato utilities, therefore proof of Mankato utility use is required (such as a water bill).
- Bulky items–Bring bulky items (such as mattresses, couches and construction debris) to Ponderosa Landfill, 20028 Gooseberry Lane, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (fees apply); or schedule curbside pick-up by contacting West Central Sanitation at 1-800-246-7630. Prepayment of service is required.
- Extra garbage–Bag extra garbage with a tag available at Hy-Vee, 2010 Adams Street or 410 South Riverfront Drive for $3.50. Request tag sent through mail or a larger cart by contacting staff at 311 or calling 507-387-8600. Bagging and tagging extra garbage and ensuring the cart lid closes completely avoids additional fees.
- Hazardous waste disposal–The Blue Earth County Household Hazardous Waste Facility, 651 Summit Avenue, accepts non-commercial hazardous waste by appointment. To schedule call 507-304-4251.
- Medication disposal–Safely and anonymously dispose of prescription and non-prescription medications at the drug drop box, available to the public 24-hours a day at the Public Safety Center, 710 South Front Street. Proper disposal of medication helps ensure they are kept out of water supplies.
- Organics and food recycling–Drop off organics and food recycling at Public Works Center, 501 South Victory Drive, or Sibley Park, 901 Mound Avenue (organics drop-off located near animal impound) during daylight hours. A partnership with Mankato Zero Waste (MZW), residents are encouraged to register online because it helps determine community needs related to the program.
- Yard waste–Bring compostable material to the Minnesota Paving and Materials (formerly Southern Minnesota Construction) compost site, 3600 Third Avenue, at no cost Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Saturday, 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Proof of residency required (such as a utility bill or driver’s license showing a Mankato address). For more information call 507-388-3122. Schedule yard waste curbside pick-up by contacting West Central Sanitation at 1-800-246-7630. Prepayment of service is required.
For more information contact staff at 311 or call 507-387-8600.