If you asked kids TODAY this question, I bet “being on their phone” would make the list: A new poll asked 5,000 parents to name their favorite OUTDOOR activities when THEY were kids. What was your favorite? Here are the top ten . . .
- Hide-and-seek. 43% of us used to love it.
- Water balloon fights, 42%.
- Tag, 42%.
- Playgrounds, with things like slides and swings, 41%.
- Playing sports, 40%.
- Riding bikes or scooters, 40%.
- Swimming, 40%.
- Snowball fights, 38%. That’s the only cold-month activity on the list.
- Just running around your neighborhood with friends, 37%.
- Playing catch, 36%. A few more from the top 20 include jumping rope . . . Duck, Duck, Goose . . . hopscotch . . . and rollerblading.
Three-quarters of parents said most of their free time was spent outdoors as a child. But kids today only get an average of five hours a week. So, less than an hour a day.